Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I'm Great, You're Great.........sometimes

I'm not afraid to say what it is that I do well. I'm not afraid to say it because it's true. If you need someone to go out and learn the newest, the latest, the greatest, then sign me up. I'm on board. I'm on board before I even fully understand the program. Then I'm going to bring that information back and share it with you. I will expect great things of you. I will challenge you to be the very best you that you can be, to use up every single gift you've been given for the good of others. I will inspire you to throw your talents out at others to help make the world a better place. I will inspire you to do it, then I will expect that you will do it. Hence, my mission statement for my life: To empower others to move to a more positive place in their lives.

What is your mission statement?

What are you great at? What gifts do you have to throw my direction? I'm hoping you might be great at follow-through. I could use that. I need you. I need you, too, if you like to fix problems. My problems go in the trash. I run into a problem, I trash it. I move on. I would really love for you to come and handle these things for me. Fix them. Help me give life to these great ideas and projects that go out to the curb for Monday morning pick-up because I can't figure out how to fix the snag. Are you a people person? Are you great at schmoozing? At establishing relationships between apparently unrelated people? At cluing in to the feelings of others? At giving a shit about the feelings of others? Yeah. I'm not so great at those things. Help me out here.

I asked a group of people the other day "What are you great at?" Nobody said anything. Nobody was great at anything? I have a hard time believing that. I think nobody wanted to say they were great at anything because we've been taught not to toot our own I'm-absolutely-freaking-wonderful-at-this horns. Why? We need this information. It's sort of like reading an ingredient list. You look at me and say, "Oh, so here's Tammie. She's great at seeing potential, at shining that back to people, at encouraging, inspiring, and providing a nice little kick in the pants." I would throw that package in my cart if I needed direction and guidance and help seeing the possibilities of where I might go with my life. But maybe I'm not looking for that, maybe I'm shopping for a product that provides a cautious laid out plan, someone who thinks things through and considers all possible consequences of potential decisions, maybe I want someone to hold me back a bit, to hold back my impulsiveness just enough to make sure that I have all the information I need to make a project great. Maybe I'm looking for that. But how will I know you have that unless you tell me. I need the ingredient label. I'm not always a great guesser in the beginning, before I really know you. In that carnival game Fool the Guesser, you would fool me every time.

I'm not afraid to say what I do well. I'm not afraid to say it because it's true. And because you may need what I have to offer. If I offer what I'm great at, then you won't expect me to handle for you the things I totally suck at. Likewise, I don't want you doing something for me that you totally suck at. You know when there's an emergency and someone yells out, "Is there a doctor in the house?!" If that's me on the ground, please don't answer unless you're a doctor or you're great in an emergency with a cool head and skills to make a quick plan and execute it well. If you're one of those people who loses it completely, yells uncontrollably, and basically needs the emergency help yourself, stay away. I don't need that kind of help. So, I'll ask again and this time I expect some answers. I need to know these things.

What are you great at? What is it that you do well?

What is your mission statement for your life?

2 comments:

  1. I am great at empathy. So if you need to know why someone has made certain choices in life ask me. I may not always sympathize with thier bad choice,but I understand what led them to make it. Like you, I have the ability to take something good and make it great. I generally focus this strength towards people. I am also great at connecting with people, taking responcibility and relating with others.
    As you can see most of what I am great at has to do with people, so it is my lifes mission to become a psychologist and make a difference in others lives.
    How do I know all of this about myself you may ask? Well I have this amazing teacher who gave me the tools to learn these things about myself and opened my eyes to seeing them as strengths instead of weaknesses.

    Thanks Tammie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. It's really just selfish of me to do that, though, you know. I want to make the world a better place. Helping others find what they're great at is really just lazy activism. And, btw, you're going to be a WONderful therapist. I can see it.

    ReplyDelete