Monday, September 12, 2011

Call Me Crazy





Mom. Dad. I’m moving in with my boyfriend.

What?! Are you crazy?! No man would ever marry a woman after living with her. What would the motivation be? He has everything he needs. You’ll just hurt your own cause.

(Author’s note: My “boyfriend” and I just celebrated twenty-five years of marriage in March of this year.)



I changed my major from pre-med to psych!!!!!!!

What?! Are you crazy?! Why don’t you stick with something where you can REALLY help people? Medicine is REAL and USEFUL. Psychology is just a bunch of people sitting around talking about stuff. It’s nothing but a bunch of fluff and nonsense.

(Author’s note: I have never not loved my work. I have been thanked profusely over the years for positively impacting the lives of others.)



I’ve decided to stay home with the kids.

What?! Are you crazy?! You worked so hard for that degree, spent all that money, and now you’re going to just sit home. For what?! And you KNOW it’s going to be hard to get back into the work world once you get out of it.

(Author’s note: After twenty years as an at-home mom, I stepped right back into the work world exactly where I wanted to be. AND I have four beautiful, well-adjusted children who have thanked me for the way they were raised.)



Guess what?!?! I’m pregnant with number four!!

“What?! Are you crazy?!

(Author’s note: “Number four” has been as much a teacher in my life as she has a child. She has stretched me far beyond my comfort zone, encouraged me to try things I may never have had the courage to try, and given me a unique perspective on personalities different from my own.)



I’ve decided to go to grad school. Online.

What?! Are you crazy?! That’s not real school. No employer is ever going to look at a degree from one of those places. You may think it’s some big new thing, but nobody even knows what it is, and it’s never going to catch on. It’s just a waste of money.

(Author’s note: I have a job. In my chosen field. In a regular college environment. I work with others who have doctorates from “real” schools.)



We’re pulling the kids out of school for a couple weeks for vacation!

What?! Are you crazy?! Kids miss even one day and they’ve missed important learning time, labs or group activities or such that just can’t be made up on one’s own. And for what? To sit in a hotel room and see Mickey?

(Author’s note: My oldest has visited all but five states. My younger three have only nine left to visit. They have seen in real life many of the pictures from their textbooks.)



Yeah. I’m vegan now.

What?! Are you crazy?! I knew a vegan once and he got so sick. He had to quit.

(Author’s note: I am healthier now than I ever have been in my life. I have clear skin, great hair, and energy to spare. I am never sick.)



I still think I’m not finished with school.

What?! Are you crazy?! You’re almost fifty for God’s sake! Why would you want to go back to school? What’s the point at YOUR age?

(Author’s note: Learning. The point is learning. Working my brain, stretching my mind, and learning.)



I have big dreams of making the world a happier, healthier place to be. I have dreams of encouraging others to own their lives and take responsibility for their own physical and emotional well-being by eating nutritious foods and exercising every day. I have dreams of a compassionate planet where we take only as much as we need, give more than we have, and wake up each day eager to do it all again, where we love ourselves, love each other, and love the earth on which we live. I have dreams, dreams of finding work we enjoy, enjoying our work so much, in fact, that we forget it IS work, doing what we were put here to do in order to positively impact the lives of others, to give back. I have dreams that we are so full of joy we cannot help but to spread it to others. I have dreams, I do. But then, who knows. I may be crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment