Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Prayer


Blessed Father, thank you for those who have hurt me in my life. Thank you for those who have withheld their love, who have neglected me, who have turned the other way. Thank you for those who have thrown unkind words my direction, who have thought less of me, put me down, called me names. Thank you for those who have touched me in places I should not have been touched at times I should not have been touched there. Thank you, Father, for those who told me I could not accomplish that which I knew I needed to accomplish. Thank you for those who, even today, tell me that I am all wrong. It is through those who have hurt me and those who continue to hurt me that I have learned love, that I have learned compassion and tolerance and kindness. It is through those who have hurt me that I have become stronger, that I have become me.

It is through tears that I learned to smile. It is through a hand withheld that I learned the importance of a hand held out. From those who put me down, I learned the need for building up. It is hard to stand tall when one is made to feel like falling. It is hard to feel worthy when one is told, through words or action, that one is not. But I did not live this for myself. It was important to smile, to stand tall, to feel worthy. There was work to do. There were lessons to learn. There are those who need my smile, my hand. There are those who need my help because I know, I know how much they need it. I know what they are feeling, I know where they have been, and I know the difference that love and compassion and a lift up can make to a life in need.

Father in Heaven, I ask that you watch over those who have hurt me. I wish them well in dealing with the pain in their own lives. They have struggles that I do not. They have issues I never will. Give them strength. Bring them peace. I have not lived their lives. I have not walked in their shoes. I cannot feel their sorrow, cannot share in their grief, their anger, their fear.

I am blessed like that, and I ask that you give me opportunity each day to use what I have been given. I ask that you help me take the lessons I have lived and use them, then, for the good of others, for those who may be suffering, for those who are crying out for the sort of help I have to offer. Help me take the love, the compassion and throw it out into the world in order to lift others, to move them, to show them possibility, to help them believe. Help me take the tolerance, the kindness, the love and shine back to others how beautiful they are, how worthy. Let me be a light in a place of darkness. Use me to do your work.

Blessed Father, thank you for those who have hurt me in my life. Thank you for those who have withheld their love, who have neglected me, who have turned the other way. Thank you for those who have thrown unkind words my direction, who have thought less of me, put me down, called me names. Thank you for those who continue to do so still. It is from them that I have learned. It is from them that I have learned compassion, peace, and love. It is from them that I have learned that we are one, and that that one is you. It is from them that I have become the woman I see when I shine that mirror back at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment