Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Show me How


Show me how to love without limit, how to open my heart to those who are different. Show me how to embrace, envelop, and nurture those who turn me away. Show me how to accept, how to accept rather than tolerate. Show me how to find the light where I see only dark, how to smile when I want to cry. Show me love where I see hate. Show me the seed of myself in the face of the other. Show me. Show me how to love.

When others spit at me, spit in my face, hold me strong. Chin up and head held high, help me move forward in your way. Give me strength, give me courage, and arms that hold me tight. Show me. Show me where you need me to be in this trying time. Show me how to stand, how to stand not for myself but for others who need what I am about. Show me how to do that which I cannot do. For them. For you.

I do not exist in this world on my own. Nor do I breathe or move or dance in a space that is composed of those exactly like me. My world is rich and deep and alive because I have known many unlike myself. Can I love one so different? How can I not?

Love.

I love cake. I love funky earrings. I love a cheesy romance.

But do I love a soul who does not love me? How do I love one who spews hatred and ignorance and vile, ugly words? How do I love one who has caused me pain and torn me down? How do I love then? Do I love?

I love a good book. I love his quirky humor. I love a long walk on the beach.

Making light of a heavy word. This love is easy.

But how do I love when the face I see represents the very extreme of that which I live, me in opposite form?

Show me how to love without limit, how to open my heart to those who are different. You have not created in MY image, but in YOURS. How am I, then, to hate? How am I to judge? Each face I see is your child, your love. Each face, each face is you. Show me. Show me how to love.

Show me how to embrace, envelop, and nurture those who turn me away.

Because there WILL be those who turn me away. They will turn me away because I am not like them. They will turn me away and call me names. They will hurt me more than I have ever been hurt. Help me to move forward. Help me to move forward with strength and courage to do the work you have put me here to do. Help me to move forward in the face of adversity to spread love, to spread love and compassion and to live your word. Help me to move forward. For others. For you.

I love my dogs at my feet. I love the first snow, a baby’s behind, the feeling of clothes fresh from the dryer. I love chocolate.

Show me the seed of myself in the face of the other. When I look and see a stranger, show me a friend. Show me the me in the face that looks so different, the life so at odds. Show me how very much we are the same, how very much we are one. Show me the piece of you that lies in us both. Show me.

I love a good glass of wine, corny jokes, and candlelit dinners. I love songs that remind me of special times. I love one who can show me what it is I have to offer the world, who can cut through the crap and get to my core. I love a challenge, to make something happen when others say it won’t.

Show me how to open my heart to those who are different. Show me how to embrace, envelop, and nurture those who turn me away. Show me how to accept, how to accept rather than tolerate.

Show me. Show me how to love.




No comments:

Post a Comment